Mountain (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
ACO Audio: Albums & EPs • 6m 35s
The music soundtrack to the Australian Chamber Orchestra's critically acclaimed collaboration with director Jennifer Peedom.
Three years ago, the Australian Chamber Orchestra's Artistic Director Richard Tognetti approached BAFTA-nominated director Jennifer Peedom (Sherpa) with a vision for an expressive interweaving of music and film. The result of this collaboration is Mountain: a cinematic and musical odyssey that explores the troubled and triumphant history of our timeless fascination with mountains.
Premiered in concert in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall as part of Sydney's Vivid LIVE 2017, Mountain draws the listener in to a world in which majesty and terror collide, thousands of metres above and beyond the familiar, comfortable landscape of the everyday. Richard Tognetti worked closely with Peedom to curate a stunning soundscape that mirrors the serenity, magnitude and terror of the landscapes featured in the film. Works by Chopin, Vivaldi, and Beethoven are featured, as well as original music by Tognetti himself.
'The original music I wrote for Mountain was composed in real collaboration with Jennifer [Peedom],' Tognetti said. 'She would tell me what she was trying to express and what the scene in the movie meant, and then I would try and come up with the musical equivalent. Some of the compositions are filmic and some of them are more like dreamscapes.'
Critical Acclaim for Mountain
The ACO scales the heights - Limelight Magazine
...a sublime rush of adrenaline and orchestral beauty - The Guardian
> Stream full album on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1B52Ke7e8HLZCz1h96s5bu?si=mPAGYPcFTnqqVLpZQeC08w
> Download the digital booklet: https://www.aco.com.au/-/media/aco-mountain-booklet.pdf
> Stream and buy the album: https://snd.click/ACOMountain?pid=MYECxPTOzePG
1. RICHARD TOGNETTI Prelude [2'35]
2. RICHARD TOGNETTI Majesty [2'14]
3. RICHARD TOGNETTI Sublime [4'39]
4. RICHARD TOGNETTI Gods and Monsters [2'47]
5. PETER SCULTHORPE Djilile [2'40]
6. EDVARD GRIEG Holberg Suite, Op.40: I. Präludium [2'45]
7–9. ANTONIO VIVALDI Concerto for Four Violins and Cello in B minor, RV580 [9'28]
10. ANTONIO VIVALDI The Four Seasons: Winter (Violin Concerto in F minor, RV297): I. Allegro non molto [3'20]
11. ANTONIO VIVALDI The Four Seasons: Summer (Violin Concerto in G minor, RV315): III. Presto [2'43]
12. ARVO PÄRT Für Alina [2'32]
13. RICHARD TOGNETTI Flying [3'30]
14. RICHARD TOGNETTI / JOSEPH NIZETI Madness Bites [2'18]
15. RICHARD TOGNETTI On High [4'05]
16. JOSEPH NIZETI Grief [0'42]
17. ARVO PÄRT Fratres [10'11]
18. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN Violin Concerto in D major, Op.61: II. Larghetto [8'50]
19. RICHARD TOGNETTI A Final Bridge [2'06]
20. LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN Piano Concerto No.5 in E-flat major, Op.73 ‘Emperor’: II. Adagio un poco moto [6'36]
Richard Tognetti Director and Violin
Timo-Veikko Valve Cello
Tamara-Anna Cislowska Piano
Danny Spooner Vocals
Satu Vänskä Vocals
Liisa Pallandi, Ike See, Satu Vänskä Violin
Australian Chamber Orchestra
Release date: 11 August 2017
Label: ABC Classic
Catalogue number: 481 5781
Up Next in ACO Audio: Albums & EPs
Mozartʼs Last Symphonies
"Ïn a crowded market, this pair of discs stands out" – BBC Music Magazine
"The ACO plays with gusto and admirable virtuousity" – Gramophone Magazine
"This 21st-century fusion of modern instruments with period ideas creates a fullness of sound that sometimes belies the fact that it is a chamber ...
Brahms: Symphonies 3 and 4
The two final symphonies of Johannes Brahms are undisputed masterpieces: passionate, intensely lyrical, a thrilling blend of grandeur and intimacy. In the hands of Richard Tognetti and the Australian Chamber Orchestra, these soaring yet deeply personal works spring to life, revealing new delights...
Water | Night Music
The Australian Chamber Orchestra presents the first Australian-produced classical vinyl for two decades, featuring the world-premiere recording of Water by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood.
Water was written following Greenwood’s stint as the ACO’s Composer in Residence in 2012. Its inspirati...