This album was produced to celebrate forty years of the ACO’s superlative and ambitious music-making, presenting the recordings that have thrilled music-lovers for decades.
The album opens with Irkana IV by Peter Sculthorpe, recorded in 1996 and drawn from one of the most highly award-winning recordings in Australian classical history. Two other Australian composers with whom the ACO has a close history – Elena Kats-Chernin and Joseph Tawadros – are also represented.
The album showcases the stunning breadth of the Orchestra’s music-making by delving back into the Baroque (Bach’s beloved double violin concerto), the Classical (Mozart’s ‘Jupiter’ symphony), and into the Romantic era (Brahms, Wagner and Tchaikovsky). Each work is introduced in the booklet by the ACO’s Artistic Director Richard Tognetti.
> Stream full album on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5NcfDlDwfHqGJIXrf8H13R?si=FtFz0ZI4SLK7bbHQ0fJvaw
> Download the digital booklet: https://www.aco.com.au/-/media/aco-celebrating-40-years.pdf
> Stream and buy the album: https://snd.click/ACO40?pid=Vsl9cGkU4oKD
1. PETER SCULTHORPE Irkanda IV [10'45]
2. RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS The Lark Ascending [16'31]
3. ASTOR PIAZZOLLA Aconcagua: 1. Allegro marcato [7'50]
4. ELENA KATS-CHERNIN Torque [14'56]
5–7. JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH Concerto for two violins in D minor, BWV1043 [14'08]
8. PYOTR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKY Sextet in D minor, Op.70 'Souvenir de Florence': IV. Allegro con brio e vivace [7'14]
9. JOSEPH TAWADROS Rose [4'10]
10. RICHARD WAGNER Siegfried Idyll [17'54]
11. JOHANNES BRAHMS Symphony No.1 in C minor, Op.68: IV. Adagio – Piu andante – Allegro non troppo, ma con brio – Piu allegro [15'58]
12–15. WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART Symphony No.41 in C major, KV551 ‘Jupiter’ [34'17]
Richard Tognetti Director and Violin
James Crabb Accordion
Helena Rathbone Violin
Joseph Tawadros Oud
Australian Chamber Orchestra
Release date: 21 October 2016
Label: ABC Classic
Catalogue number: 481 4571